Friday, March 23, 2012

My first race...

of the 2012 season is tomorrow.  Olympic distance.  1500meter swim, 25 mile bike,6.2 mile run.  HITS Triathlon Series in Ocala, FL.  Only a 90 minute drive from home but in the middle of nowhere.  Get to escape work early to beat Friday traffic and pick up my race packet.  Coach's instructions are to kick ass on the swim and not worry too much about the bike and the run.  Start at the back of the back, and stay outside to the right to find my groove. I only have to be faster than one other perons to not get eaten by an alligator in the lake.  I am focusing on improving my weakest discipline at this point in the season so that I gain confidence and feel ready to rock and roll by IMAZ.  The water will be chilly (mid 60's) and wetsuit legal which means I get to test out my full sleeves for the first time.  Woo Hoo!  If only all of you out there in blog land could have seen what a TERRIBLE swimmer I was 5 years ago and how I almost drowned and had panic attacks every time I got in the water.  Let me tell you that it is nothing short of a miracle that I can even go 1500 meters.  No secret there but discipline.  Just keep showing up and doing the work.  If you let something that scares you keep you from doing something you want to accomplish, you have defeated yourself. 

Here's the link if you want to check out the race website:
HITS Triathlon Ocala, FL

1 comment: